Eight international poetry publishers and editors will visit Amsterdam and Antwerp, upon invitation of the Dutch Foundation for Literature and Flanders Literature. From 3-7 December they will be introduced to the Dutch field of poetry, meeting many publishers and writers.
- Michael Schmidt, Carcanet (UK)
- Neil Astley, Bloodaxe Books (UK)
- Tony Frazer, Shearsman (UK)
- Francis Dannemark, Le Castor Astral (France)
- François Heusbourg, Editions Unes (France)
- Béatriz Gonzalez en Silvia Bardelas, De Conatus (Spain)
- Stefan Wieczorek, Edition Virgines (Germany)
- Erik Bergqvist, Edda (Sweden)
The programme includes an evening at the Dutch Foundation for Literature with translators and poets, a literary walk through Amsterdam, a crash course in Dutch poetry by critic Rob Schouten, a visit to the Rijksmuseum and a rights center with Dutch publishers on Friday 7 December. More information may be found in this pdf.
The previous visit of poetry publishers to Amsterdam and Antwerp in 2014 resulted in the publishing of a large number of editions of Dutch poetry in translation, including an American collection by Ester Naomi Perquin, a German and an English edition of The Lonely Funeral. Poets at the Gravesides of the Forgotten, German editions by Rozalie Hirs, Andy Fierens, Leonard Nolens and Frans Budé and a Swedish one by Mustafa Stitou.
The Amsterdam Fellowship is an annual programme in which the Foundation invites international literary editors to come and meet their Dutch colleagues and familiarize themselves with Dutch literature. This year the fellowships have a focus on the English language area, in preparation for a larger literary campaign in the US and the UK the Foundation is organizing in 2020. In September a group of UK and USA-based fiction editors and publishers visited Amsterdam, followed by ten non-fiction editors and publishers in November; a children’s books fellowship will follow at the start of 2019.
- Blog on the Fiction Fellowship by Tynan Kogane, editor at New Directions Publishing in New York
- Amsterdam Fellowship 2018: non-fiction
- Amsterdam Fellowship 2018: fiction
- Visitors’ Programme / Amsterdam Fellowship
- Introductions to Dutch poets from the Netherlands, the Netherlands Antilles and Belgium/Flanders on Poetry International Web